The history of the Kauttua Works park goes back to the 17th century, when Lorenz Creuz established an Works at the Kauttuankoski rapids.
In 1746, a second main building was built in the area as the Works manager’s home. The original cellar’s vaulted ceiling serves as the foundation of the current building, Kauttua Club.
A neoclassical mansion - Kauttua Club
After the Creutzs, the Works was acquired by the Timm family, who owned the property between 1700 and 1801. The next owner was Anders Henrik Falck, who built a new main building in the neoclassical style in 1802. During his ownership, the area grew with little red houses built along the Sepänkatu village street as homes for workers with the famous clock tower rising in the park.
Winds of change
A new era for the Works began when Antti Ahlström, who had bought the company in 1873, decided to focus on wood processing in favour of iron production. With the purchase of the company, Ahlström acquired vast forests but, despite his plans, Kauttua never flourished as a sawmill. Driving logs along the river to the steam saw in Kaunissaari proved the cheaper option. The Works also changed hands: Ahlström gave the Works as a wedding present to Wilhelm, his son from his first marriage. After Wilhelm’s death, Antti Ahlström bought the Works from his widow. So in effect, Ahlström bought the Works twice.
The paper industry’s heyday
Antti Ahlström died in 1896. After his death, his wife Eva Ahlström took over the reins of the company. In 1908, the business became a limited liability company A. Ahlström, with the family’s son Walter, who had already served in managerial duties in the company, appointed as the first managing director. Walter Ahlström introduced paper production to Kauttua, with the Kauttua paper mill starting operation in 1907.
In the 1930s, the factory focused on the production of whitened fine paper, with director Frejvid Borg planning an expansion into the further processing of paper. A refining plant was established in connection with the paper mill in 1937 and it began operation under the name of Euran Paperi Oy. The product range was mainly targeted at households.
The 1940s saw rapid expansion in the area of the Kauttua Works, with the building of factory premises for Euran Paperi Oy and housing for workers and clerical staff. One of the most notable buildings in the area is the Terraced House by Alvar Aalto, which was completed in 1939. The area of the Kauttua Works is one of the most valuable historical Works milieus in Finland. The area is home to several notable buildings designed by Alvar Aalto. Finland's National Board of Antiquities has classified the Works as a built cultural environment of national importance.
Kauttua - a vital industrial area
In Kauttua, industrial activities have continued even after the closure of the original works. Today, the Kauttua factories are part of international corporations, which means that the plant and its local management no longer have influence on the building of the environs. Ahlström still owns the central, historically notable buildings in the area.
The Kauttua mansion now provides hotel and restaurant services under the name of Kauttua Club. The two-century old main building houses both recently renovated, cosy accommodation and magnificent rooms and facilities for functions and celebrations. Additional accommodation is available in the other buildings in the area.
The paper mill, which has been in operation for more than a century, is now owned by Jujo Thermal Oy, established in 1992. The old factory premises of Euran Paperi Oy now house two companies, Amcor Flexibles Finland Oy and AR Carton Oy. Smoke still rises from the chimneys of the old factory buildings.